Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Guest Post: Laura Reviews Ipsy Glam Bag - April 2014

Note from Amanda: Periodically, I'm going to be sharing guest posts from my good friend Laura on this blog. She's an amazing person, and will be bringing you reviews on subscription boxes like Julep and Ipsy. I hope you enjoy her first review!

Ok, so today you are stuck with me for a guest post. I'm Laura, Manda's good friend. I hail from New Zealand but am currently living as the token foreigner in small town Ohio. Beauty subscription boxes are pretty much the best thing about living in the USA.

Today was pretty much the most exciting morning of my life. Bar the whole getting married and finding out I'm pregnant days, but those don't really count. After being on the waitlist for 3 months, I finally received my first Ipsy glam bag.


For those who don't know, Ipsy glam bag is a monthly make-up subscription service. I have heard amazing things about it, because basically you get amazing value in each bag. A subscription is only $10/month, for 4-5 deluxe samples and full sized items. Being the tightwad that I am, this is totally amazing.

Anyway, onto this month's box:



It arrived in the amazing hot pink package that Ipsy is famous for. Each month they give a different make-up bag. This month's theme was “Beauty Rocks”. I kind of like the modern-retro vibe of the bag.


There were five products this month. The one I am most excited about is the Urban Decay 24/7 Velvet Glide-On Eye Pencil. I am really, really excited to try this. I have a bunch of cheaper liners, but don't have any of the really good liners. The liner is travel size, which means it is about 75% of the size of a full size liner. I kind of came up with 2 possible prices by looking at the price of full sized liners and travel multi-packs. I figure I should go for the more conservative estimate, putting the value at around $7.




I'm also pretty keen to try the Benefit lollitint. This is a cheek/lip stain. After trying a different brand of cheek stain a while back, I am pretty much a convert. I am excited to see how this one is – it's reviews tend to be great. Value: $6




Next was the Cailyn tinted lip balm in acid pink. After looking at the colour and doing a swatch, I balked. It screamed Junior High 1998. Considering I actually was in Junior High in 1998, I figured it would make me look like mutton dressed as lamb. When I put it on though, I actually liked it – It gives a pop of colour without looking quite so Barbieish. Value: $19




And then we have a jar of City Color mousse eyeshadow in white gold. I would never choose the colour myself, but I like it nonetheless. I have had some pretty iffy experiences with mousse in the past, so am curious to see how it goes on. Still, trying products I usually wouldn't is kind of the point of a beauty bag :). Value: $4 (or so I read somewhere a few days ago. The site is playing up for me today).



Last, and actually totally least, are Kiss Looks So Natural false eyelashes. These don't really appeal. Actually, I've never had any desire to wear false lashes at all – and I used to live in Japan, where they are so common that I'm pretty sure newborn girls are given their first how-to lesson in application! I'd honestly rather something else, but meh. I'll save them for a night out. Because you know, being pregnant and living in small town Ohio means I go out and party a lot! Value: $4



Overall, I am really happy with the bag. The only thing I'd really prefer not to have are the lashes, but I can suck it up. The total value comes to $40, which is, frankly, quite awesome for a $10 bag. I will definitely be continuing this subscription!



Also, if you want to sign up, please use my referral link: http://www.ipsy.com/r/4rpg
There is a waiting list, but it is possible to bypass the list through strategic use of social media. They give instructions for this. Being the technological luddite I am, I just chose to wait :)

2 comments:

  1. Some nice items in this month's bag. I like the two lip products you got. Nice guest post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      On a side note, I realised my (slightly in the dark) application gave me a 90s lip ring! I promise I don't usually apply like that!

      Delete